Sound Practitioner Training (25-Hour Certification)
Sound Practitioner Training is coming to Dave’s Astanga Yoga. This initiation into the world of the Sound Practitioner is spread over two weekends and explores the history, theory, spirituality, science and practice of sound while providing hands-on training in playing gong, crystal bowls, Tibetan bowls, shruti box, flutes, overtone singing, chimes, and more. This will be an intimate training with limited space.
Saturday November 10th, 1:30 – 7:30
Sunday November 11th, 12:00 – 7:00
Saturday November 17th, 1:30 – 7:30
Sunday November 18th, 12:00 – 7:00
About the Training
Sound Practitioner Training is designed for both teachers and students who would like to begin using sound in public or private settings, or for those who are simply drawn to sound and wish to learn more. Sound Therapy and Sound Meditation (also sometimes called Sound Healing) are a range of practices used to bring about physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual changes using sound. Participants will learn the fundamentals of Sound Meditation and Sound Therapy and learn to deliver public and private sound sessions. Yoga and meditation teachers will learn how to incorporate sound therapy and guided meditation into their classes.
Participants in this training receive Certification as a Sound Practitioner (Level I). Yoga Alliance teachers receive 25-hours of Yoga Alliance CEUs.
Early Bird $499 (Register by October 20th); Regular $599. Includes all materials. AYTT Student pricing $449.
Topics Explored in Sound Practitioner Training
History & Theory of Sound Therapy
- History of Sound in Yoga and Shamanic lineages
- Use of Sound in Meditation and Therapy
- Science of Harmonics and Overtones
- Importance of Non-Equal Temperament
- Use of Sound in Working with Chakra
- Responsible Use of Terminology: Sound Healing, Sound Bath, Gong Bath,Gongmaster, Vibrational Healing, etc.
- Physical Effects of Sound: Nervous System, Vagal Nerve, Cellular Responses, Brainwaves
- Use of Sound in Ceremonial Settings
- Conducting a Sound Class or Private Session
- Types of Gongs and Cultural Uses
- History of Gong and Metallic Overtone Emitting Instruments
- Energetics of Gong Playing
- Gong Meditation
- The 39 Gong Strokes
- Friction Mallets (Flumies)
- Hand Gong Techniques
- Caring for the Gong
- Selecting Gongs
- Types of Bowls: Crystal Types, Metallic
- Energetics and the Chakra
- Playing Techniques and Styles
- Use of Drone
- Vocalization and Bowls: Toning, Chanting, and Talking Bowls
- Binaural Playing
- Selecting and Assembling Bowl Sets
- Shamanic Journeying Styles
- Use of Frame Drum in Meditation
- Powerful Rhythms
- Playing for Yourself and Others
- Invoking the Medicine of the Drum
- Use of Other Percussion Instruments: Shakers, Rattles, Wave/Ocean Drums, Rain Sticks, and Tingsha
- Finding Your Voice Even if You Think You Can’t Sing
- Mindful Singing and Chanting for Meditation
- Overtone Singing
- Singing and Chanting with Shruti Box and Bowls
- History of Flutes
- How to Play Native American Flute
- Introduction to Other Flutes: Overtone Flute, Bansuri, Neh
- Playing Flute with Other Instruments
All instruments will be provided for use during training but students who own their own gong, flute, bowls, or other instruments are encouraged to bring them!
UPDATE OCT 24: WE ARE NOW ON A WAITLIST FOR THIS TRAINING. PLEASE EMAIL US IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEING ADDED. IN THE PAST WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PULL A FEW PEOPLE FROM THE WAITLIST THE WEEK BEFORE.