About Sound Practitioner Training
Hamid developed the Sound Practitioner Training course to provide an opening to the world of sound to students of all levels. This unique training is typically spread over two weekends, and can be configured as either a 25-hour or 40-hour program. Every training explores the history, theory, and science of sound while providing hands-on training in playing gong, crystal bowls, Tibetan bowls, shruti box, flutes, overtone singing, chimes, and more. Participants in this training receive Certification as a Sound Practitioner (Level I). Yoga Alliance teachers receive Yoga Alliance CEUs.
About the Training
Sound Practitioner Training is designed for both teachers and students who would like to begin using sound in public or private settings, or for those who are simply drawn to sound and wish to learn more. Sound Therapy and Sound Meditation (also sometimes called Sound Healing) are a range of practices used to bring about physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual changes using sound. Participants will learn the fundamentals of Sound Meditation and Sound Therapy and learn to deliver public and private sound sessions. Yoga and meditation teachers will learn how to incorporate sound therapy and guided meditation into their classes. A full color training manual is provided, giving students a life-long reference for the most important topics covered.
Topics Explored in Sound Practitioner Training
History & Theory of Sound Meditation and Sound Therapy
- History of Sound in Yoga and Shamanic lineages
- Use of Sound in Meditation and Therapy
- Science of Harmonics and Overtones
- Importance of Non-Equal Temperament
- Use of Sound in Working with Chakra
- Responsible Use of Terminology: Sound Healing, Sound Bath, Gong Bath, Gongmaster, Vibrational Healing, etc.
- Physical Effects of Sound: Nervous System, Vagal Nerve, Cellular Responses, Brainwaves
Use of Sound in Ceremonial Settings
- Conducting a Sound Classes and Private Sessions
- Types of Gongs and Cultural Uses
- History of Gong and Metallic Overtone Emitting Instruments
- Energetics of Gong Playing
- Gong Meditation
- The 39 Gong Strokes
- Friction Mallets (Flumies)
- Hand Gong Techniques
- Caring for the Gong
- Selecting Gongs
- Types of Bowls: Crystal Types, Metallic
- Energetics and the Chakra
- Playing Techniques and Styles
- Use of Drone
- Vocalization and Bowls: Toning, Chanting, and Talking Bowls
- Selecting and Assembling Bowl Sets
- Shamanic Journeying
- Use of Frame Drum in Meditation
- Hand Drum Techniques and Rhythms
- Playing for Yourself and Others
- Invoking the Medicine of the Drum
- Use of Other Percussion Instruments: Shakers, Rattles, Wave/Ocean Drums, Rain Sticks, etc.
- Finding Your Voice Even if You Think You Can’t Sing
- Mindful Singing and Chanting for Meditation
- Overtone Singing
- Singing and Chanting with Shruti Box and Bowls
- History of Flutes
- How to Play Native American Flute
- Introduction to Other Flutes: Overtone Flute and Bansuri
- Playing Flute with Other Instruments and in Pairs
All instruments are provided for use during training but students who own their own gong, flute, bowls, or other instruments are encouraged to bring them! Assistance in purchasing instruments is provided for students interested.
Host a Sound Practitioner Training
If you are a yoga studio looking to offer sound training to your students, Sound Practitioner Training can be hosted at nearly any location. Please contact Hamid to discuss. If you are a student looking to take a Sound Practitioner Training, please check our listing of upcoming dates and locations.
April 28-29 & May 5-6 at Urban Yoga, Phoenix – SOLD OUT
- November 10-11 & 17-18 at Dave’s Astanga Yoga, Scottsdale – REGISTRATION OPEN